Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Do talk to strangers

I'VE been told that Singaporeans don't like it when strangers start conversations with them. I've also heard that Singaporeans are uncomfortable with frequent stranger- to-stranger interaction.

But this has not been my experience.

Recently, I was queueing at a local fast-food joint and sending an SMS on my handphone when a man behind me commented on how slim and fashionable my smartphone looked.

He said he was considering getting the same phone and wanted my opinion of it. This led to a brief but pleasant conversation.

Later that day, a pretty woman in a lift complimented me on my cowboy boots, which led to a friendly chat about where to get the best Hokkien mee at suppertime.

At the lounge in the evening, a nice middle-aged couple nearby asked my friend the name of his strangely coloured drink, which also led to an enjoyable exchange.

When I made eye contact with the couple next to us, they introduced themselves, we chatted and they had the waiter bring more glasses so that we could all share their bottles of wine.

In all these cases, I was the recipient of friendly approaches from perfect strangers. And that was just a single day.

Human beings are social creatures. As Harvard-educated psychologist Daniel Goleman wrote in his recent book, Social Intelligence, human beings are wired to connect.

Extensive research in neuroscience has shown that our brain's very design makes us sociable.

People thrive on social connection. Those who can generate honest, positive interactions will be welcomed anywhere.

Even better, if your society really is cold and closed. Then you will stand out even more as an agent of positive change and a source of warm feelings.

Remember this the next time you're hesitant about approaching a total stranger for a chat.

It's really the natural thing to do.

No comments: